Full project name
Project to support the regional plan to combat and control fruit flies in West Africa
Funding (financial partners)
€ 23.5 million The European Union co-funds it in the amount of € 16.7 million, with the balance covered by the French Development Agency (€ 1.5 million) and by contributions from the States concerned (€ 5 million).
Leader of the Consortium
- Development Research and Design Office
23.5 million euros
2015 - 2019
The purpose is to boost the income of fruit and vegetable producers and to support the Regional plan to combat and control fruit flies in West Africa.
The goals are:
- Increase in the volume of fruit sold on local markets free from infestations
- Cutting of losses on fruit and vegetables due to infestation by fruit flies
- Possible transposal of the methodology and measures of this project to other sectors/regions
- In West Africa, building of the ECOWAS management capacities
Mango producers and exporters
Eight CEDEAO countries
COLEACP is involved in the consortium which manages the Support project for the Regional Plan to combat and control fruit flies in West Africa, known as the “Fruit Fly Programme”. It works with two partners (Development Research and Design Office and SOGEROM). This project is deployed in eight countries of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) over the period 2015-2019. The project coordination committee is based in Bamako (Mali) and consists of the project manager and those in charge of the Monitoring, Control and Capacity Building
components. COLEACP’s role in this programme is to provide this coordination committee with methodological and technical support.